Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Busy Times

Hiya, folks!

I originally planned to increase my number of posts during COVID-19 season to distract myself and provide some COVID-19 free entertainment.

That's been scrapped for the time being.  I work at an essential hardware/home improvement store.  Our company has offered two additional weeks paid time off for use during 2020 for all workers.   We do have a significant population at our store who have chronic health issues, are older or who live with people in one of those two categories.  Sensibly, these workers are taking paid and unpaid time off to be safe.  At the same time, average consumers are buying a whole lot of DIY items like paint to keep themselves distracted.   Oh, and this is the time of year that we get a ton of product anyways that needs to be stocked in a normal circumstance.  The net outcome is we are absolutely swamped - and we don't have enough workers to keep up.

Here's how swamped we are.  When I was hired in April of last year, the paint department had 4 full time employees and 5 part-time employees plus 2 workers who picked up some shifts when they were not scheduled in their home department.    Right now, we have 3 full timers, 2 part timers and no available cross-trained employees.   

So I'm planning on working 40+ hours a week for the time being.  I still have an adorable preschooler to spend time with - and I need to stretch for an hour or so a day to keep my legs balanced since concrete floors plus CP are a rough combo.  That doesn't leave much time left - and our internet has been wonky so even when I have time - I may not have access to the interwebs.

So don't worry if I'm offline more than usual.

Take care of yourselves - and keep your chin up.  We'll all get through this.

3 comments:

  1. Look after yourself and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will. I am an experienced social distancer since we did that for the first 18 months after Spawn was born and I have no problems at all telling customers at work to step back as I step back myself.

      I feel a bit conflicted like a lot of service workers do. I know my work is important - but I feel guilty that my day-to-day life isn't as disrupted as so many people's days are. I get to see my coworkers who are also my friends most days of the week. I have great support for caring for Spawn. We've had to cut out playdates, playing at the McDonald's playground and playing at playgrounds - but my life is mostly the same as it was prior to COVID-19.

      Delete
  2. Yay for more hours! Glad your job is safe and your store is giving you more PTO. Take care!

    ReplyDelete