Thursday, August 20, 2020

Babbling Botkin: "What If My Husband Dies?" - Part Three

I'm enjoying the last week or so of summer vacation with my son.   He's grown so much over the last year that I honestly can't believe it.   

For one small example, our house and land is carved off of a larger dairy farm operated by my in-laws.  Because of the location of our well, the fuel depots for the farm are all located on the farm behind us rather than the main well.  We live on a clay hill with a 'deep' well which means a fuel spill would take much longer to contaminate groundwater than it would on the main farm which is sandy and has a shallow well.  What this means for my small son is that we have an ever-changing and fairly random assortment of farm vehicles that drive by our house and park at the fuel cell.   

Spawn LOVES looking at vehicles up close - but the distance is around 1.5 city blocks from our house.  When we got home from PT, his legs were exhausted; his legs would shake when he walked.  He really, really, really wanted to see the small combine that was gassing up - so I put him on my shoulders and walked with him hanging onto my head.  

That's a small thing - but it's huge.  When he started PT 2 years ago at 18 months, his muscle tone was floppy enough that I couldn't carry him on my hip easily because he couldn't keep his head and chest up without my arm locked across the middle of his back.  I essentially carried him like a sack of potatoes or a paper bag of groceries with his legs dangling free.  This bothered Spawn none at all - but it was rough on my back.    Last year, I could carry him on my hip with my arm slung across his hips - which was so much easier - but to have him on my shoulders, I had to give him support by locking my hands behind this back to form a seat back for him to lean on which was rough on my shoulders.   Now, he can essentially ride piggyback  with me occasionally steading him by having him grip my hands as I held them up above my temples when we were moving over unsteady ground. 

And - because good things happen to little boys and their mamas sometimes - we also saw the gasoline truck come to refill the diesel AND a small haybine working in a nearby field!   

Now, I'm taking a few minutes while someone eats lunch to punch out another set of awesome Botkin quotes from "What If My Husband Dies" on Geoffrey Botkin's YouTube Channel titled "Stand Up And Lead":
[00:02:17] So.  Alright.  Let's talk about three practical things to be thinking about and talking about with your husband and even with your boys together.  I mean, this is, you know, COPD is a very serious thing.  I mean, you know, any chronic illness that could lead to death is something that should be talked about in the family.  It shouldn't be just brushed under the rug.  It should be brought out into the open and talked about in the future. 
We're a few minutes out from when Geoffrey Botkin brings up the three practical things and I feel like this section was a poorly thought-out ad-lib.     He has far more filler phrases than he's had in a few minutes - and I don't know if that's because he's uncertain of the value of his advice or he's flying by the seat of his pants.

Either way, I'm struck by the complete and total lack of practical advice for introducing the concept of death to four boys whose ages we do not know.   Botkin, after all, is the father of seven adult children so he must have done this at some point with his kids.  Right?  His adult kids know death exists.....right?  Presumably so.

Introducing death to little kids is....fraught.  My son got a crash course in death this summer.  My husband's grandfather died a few days before my parents' dog died.  Spawn didn't know Opa at all - but he saw a lot of adults in his life were sad.   Spawn was very aware of Maggie Dog - and hated her and her barking ways.   I quickly read some best-practices for introducing little kids to death and came up with a standard spiel that Maggie died.  When someone dies, their body stops working and we put their body in a cemetery.  We won't see Maggie anymore.   

That was the easy part.  Now, we are figuring out what that means.  It doesn't mean she's on a long car ride.   Or at work.  So far, no games that Spawn has started have involved dead animals - but that may come next.   

I think there could be some use of discussing Dad's COPD if it makes him visibly sick in some ways - but jumping to "Dad's COPD is gonna kill him!  Death is real and coming for Dad!" is too much unless his COPD is very advanced.  If the family is entirely of preschool kids, maybe wait until they are old enough to understand time because none of this will make sense to them.   

On the flip side, a preteen or teen can probably understand COPD when it is explained to them.  If the COPD is limiting his activities, it is past time to discuss what is going on.    In terms of death, I'd be honest about what the doctors know - and don't know - about the husband's life expectancy.

Notice how much Botkin's fluency improves in the next section where he spins his version of history:
[00:02:44]  I mean, families you know so used were so used to doing this because life used to be really short and you could be cut down by almost anything any given week or month.   You you go to church and a typical church was surrounded by a church yard that had gravestones in it and the family is going to church passing through these gravestones. Seeing the dates on them seeing the many different little children would die at age 1, age 2, age 3, age 5 age 10. And young mothers would die in childbirth.  Fathers would die young.  You know, chopping an axe if you if it slipped and you cut your cut yourself on the shin and you got an infection.  And there were no antibiotics in those days.  Yeah, you could be gone in three or four days.  And so, you know people understood that life was short back then.
Botkin is really into harkening back to the historical glory days of the past when the Puritans ran everything the right way.   

When he brings those days up, remember that those days also came with heartbreaking death rates.

Those good old days when a man who was 80 might be married to the wife of his youth - or he might be married to his third wife after his first two wives died.   My maternal great-great-grandmother married in her late 20's to a much older man whose first two wives had died.   He died while she was still raising their children (with the help of her step-daughters who were the same age as she was) - and then she raised five grandchildren after one of her daughters died during the Great Depression on a failing farm.   Thank God for those step-daughters; they worked in Chicago and brought home produce, meat and clothing for their step-nieces and nephews.   

The fact that women died in such high numbers because of the dangers of pregnancy, childbirth, epidemic diseases, and accidents is part of why relatively few daughters were lifelong stay-at-home daughters.   The deaths of married women caused a much larger pool of widowers to be available to single women who were past ideal first marriage age than exists now.   

The ironic bit is that Botkin ignores how amazingly oblivious humans can be to obvious things.  I've met plenty of people who grew up on farms and saw animals mating - but were absolutely horrified when they learned that humans have sex too.   The dangers of drinking and driving or texting and driving are not a secret - but every year people choose to drink or text and drive and die - or kill an innocent victim.   Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is a great way to get a fatal head injury - but various groups worked to overturn a law that required everyone riding a motorcycle to wear a helmet.

The reason is simple: humans compartmentalize.  Bad things happen - but not to me.   This is not a new trend - there are plenty of sermons reaching back to Puritan times of pastors telling their congregation to go look at the graves in the churchyard because any congregant could be next.   That sermon only makes sense if the pastor thinks that many - or most - of the congregation is ignoring the specter of imminent death.  

Fortunately, far fewer people die in midlife.  Ironically, this makes the letter-writer's life a lot harder.  In the good old days, she would look around at the older bachelors* or widowed men and take note at who was looking back at her.   Because of the impossibility of doing domestic chores while earning wages, a healthy widow with a solid track record of pregnancy would be remarried within a year.   With luck, she'd be married to a good man who would raise his stepsons well.  If not, hopefully there is some extended family that could raise the boys to keep them out of harm's way.

None of this helps the letter writer, though.   Too bad Botkin doesn't seem to notice.

*I first read Hurston's "Their Eyes Were Watching God" when I was in college and was twenty-something.  Last year, I watched the movie version with a high school class as a sub.  When I was a youngster, I was disgusted that Janie's grandmother arranged a marriage between teenage Janie and an elderly church member who owned 40 acres of land.   As an adult woman, I watched the teenagers express the same disgust - and told them that I'd arrange the same marriage because I'd be leaving my granddaughter with a roof over her head, food in the pantry, a good-enough position in society, and financial freedom once her husband died.  I left out the fact that I'd also be hoping that the husband's age would keep Janie from an endless cycle of pregnancies and births in her late teens and twenties - but still leave her a young enough widow to have a few kids with a husband of her own choosing.   I'm not much of a romantic, I guess.....

8 comments:

  1. Death is never easy to explain. My daughter was three when my spouse's grandmother died, and we visited and sat with her the day before she passed. I remember her patting Grandma's hand and saying, "Grandma sick," and just being really gentle and careful with her. Then a week or so later, at the funeral, which was just a graveside service, since Grandma had died at 96 and outlived most of her friends, my daughter helped pass out flowers to toss on the coffin, and she still remembers that now, over three years later. She talks about missing Great-Grandma, and when she asked about what happens when people die, I explain that we don't really know, but people have lots of different ideas about it. I'm not going to tell her that people go to heaven when I don't believe in that myself; I hope there's something after death but I'm dubious about it. But I do tell her that people live on in the way we remember them, and that their love for us is still present, because I do believe that. She seems okay with that, although she definitely likes the idea of heaven because a well-meaning relative told her it was full of endless playgrounds and that she could fly there (which lead to her saying she wanted to die because heaven sounded like fun, which, given the family history on both sides of mental illness, was absolutely terrifying for me to hear).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter sounds like an absolute sweetheart! I think there is something after death - and I have no idea how to explain it other than I've felt it a few times - which I refer to as heaven.

      We left out a discussion of heaven with my son. Mostly because I remember being 4 when my brother died and being more confused about where heaven was than most other parts of the idea of death.

      I do like the idea of a heaven filled with endless playgrounds and the ability to fly - but hearing a kid say they wanted to die to go there would freak me out too. Heck, I freaked out at a badly done conversion play where a high school girl was doing an "Our Town" style monologue to the Angel of Death who came to get her - and that was a lot older and marginal acting skill instead of real life.

      Delete
  2. I've been following your blog for years now, and it always warms my heart to hear about how your son is continuing to grow and flourish! So glad that you all have access to good support for him.

    I honestly get a bit of sordid pleasure from your Botkin critiques haha The Botkins were influential in my family growing up, and I enjoy reading your skillful take-downs of their ideas. I poked around Geoffrey's new YouTube channel and listened to his video "What if my neighbor is a sociopath?" It is one wacky, almost incoherent, word-salad, but it also clearly demonstrates his woeful lack of knowledge in a broad range of subjects such as psychology, history, education, child development, ethics, political science, trauma, and disaster management. He genuinely seems unable to accurately describe or analyze even incredibly basic ideas; for example, the difference between someone demonstrating psychopathic traits and someone being clinically diagnosed as such (using the PCL-R or PPI) or the difference between psychopathy or sociopathy.

    By the end of the video, I almost felt a little bit sorry for him. He seems to be someone who idolizes intellectualism while remaining ignorant of easily attainable knowledge. He doesn't exactly strike me as just the fluff-and-bluff type; he genuinely seems unaware of his lack of understanding and, like his daughters, is unceasingly vague. Honestly, he comes off as someone who's kinda lost, like he lives in an imaginary world and wanders mentally between an overly rosy, idealized version of the past, a bombastically negative perception of the present, and a neurotic dream of the future, in which the world will implode and he and his sons will rise as heroes and leaders.

    It is very, very strange to listen to, and I admire your patience in being able to slog through such ramblings lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, grumpyhedgehog! I'm enjoying my son more and more as he grows - and making choices like keeping my hours at my part-time job at the part-time level so that I have time to play with the little guy outside of therapy. Yesterday, he made a wrecking-ball-crane-mop out of Legos that he was using to mop the floor and destroy towers and mop the destroyed towers. I had such fun with that!

      The Botkins remind me of various people I've known IRL who have been isolated from anyone who might challenge them intellectually, socially or politically that they've stagnated and lost a lot skills without realizing the loss.

      Honestly, your description of Botkin's misinformation on such broadly ranging subjects as education, ethics, child development, politics and disaster management make me more likely to watch that video at some point. I was going to mock his "Is it too late to plant a garden?" for taking longer than " Does the ground freeze where you live? Is it 55 days or more from the date you think the ground will freeze solid? If yes, go for it. If you live in a hot area, are you coming up on a season where heat will be over 100 and you don't have supplemental watering? If no, go for it." Or the "Is it too late to hoard things?" with "You can always hoard - but is that a useful way to spend your time? Probably not."

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, he's trying to take on sociopathy? I learned the difference between that and psychopathy by consulting psychology sources (plus watching numerous crime shows with FBI profilers and other experts). Just watching Halloween (the 2007 version) and The Good Son would show visible differences between the two. It's amazing what even a little exposure could help with.

      Delete
  3. Haha that's so cute! I don't have any kids of my own, but I've promised myself that when I retire, I can go back to working in childcare. It's so amazing to watch children discover the world around them and to be reminded of all the things we tend to forget as we grow older.

    And I agree that that's probably a large part of what's going on here. It's easy to fancy yourself an expert if you're the only person you know with an interest in a certain topic. Honestly, both of those videos sound interesting as well! I'm curious if he ever offers any practical advice on anything. I'm not sure if the Botkin's trademark-vagueness is an effort to sound theoretical and deep or if it's simply a tactic to avoid saying anything that could be objectively falsified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Botkin reminds me of guys I loosely refer to in hindsight as "intellectual hipsters". These are guys in their late teens or early twenties who espouse really, really radical beliefs without having done either the intellectual or ethical work to work out how those beliefs would work in real life. The net outcome is that they sound really deep as long as you know nothing about the actual topic at hand. When they run into someone who is educated in the topic, though, things go south - and quickly - because their education in the area is so flimsy that they can't defend their argument against an easily foreseeable objection.....

      Delete
  4. It's good to remember how blessed we are to live in modern times. Since the Botkins's type of church has done things so differently, though, regarding daughters, widows and marriage, it's not surprising he'd have trouble giving basic advice.

    The Botkin daughters, during one podcast, reminded their audience how we shouldn't spend a lot of time wishing we lived back in historical times. Pretty sure they felt the need to say this precisely bc so much of their peer group (and younger) does just that, with all their courtship dreams, Jane Austen sowing patterns and tea parties. Many out there are more naive than the B daughters, which shows they're not very EDUCATED about the history whose practices their parents want so badly to emulate.

    ReplyDelete