Saturday, January 30, 2021

Joyfully At Home: Chapter Fourteen - Part Two

Hello!


I spent the morning digging out our driveway from the blown snow left by the last snowstorm.   The storm was during low temperatures - under 20 degrees F - so the snow is very powdery.  Combined with continual winds, I think most of the snow from our front yard and back yard was blown into the driveway where it was trapped in the depressions of the two-tracks.    I giggled a bit to see lightly snow-covered grass in the front yard and 6" of snow in the driveway.  

It helped that there was a pretty sunrise and a group of foraging juncos chirping happily in long-grass area behind our backyard.

We are working our way through the questions posed by Jasmine Baucham in the fourteenth chapter of "Joyfully At Home".  The first section we looked at had Jasmine explaining her dad's beliefs about college degrees and me discussing how erroneous those beliefs were. 

In the next section, Jasmine explains what greatly important things she was doing while being a stay-at-home daughter: 
Question 1: What is your belief on college? Do you think that women should go to college? (pg. 163) 
After much consideration, I decided against the traditional college route. The first two years after I graduated were spent under the tutelage of my parents, helping my mother with household duties while working full-time for my father as his research assistant. If people asked me what I did for a living, I'd probably quip that I was the all-purpose household and office assistant/ brother-wrangler/ sous chef. I was still learning ( at the time, I was researching for Daddy's latest book, What He Must Be) from both of my parents, particularly from my mother, because I had ample time to tag along and take notes. (pg. 164)
I have a question.   

How could Jasmine work full-time for her father as a research assistant for two years to produce a book that has seven footnotes and one paragraph length quote from an outside work in the first two chapters?   

"What He Must Be....If He Wants to Marry My Daughter" by Voddie Baucham shows more signs of scholarship than most CP/QF works, but that's a far cry from the length and depth of academic works cited in a book that had a full-time research assistant working on it for two years.

Assuming a 40 hour work week with two weeks of vacation a year, Jasmine would have spent 4,000 hours compiling and extracting research notes from books and articles.   That's what the job of a real research assistant would look like.    Instead, I suspect Jasmine read books and discussed a lot of ideas with her dad - which is legitimately helpful - but not at the amount of time or intensity required by an outside employer.  

I suspect that in part because her description of her own role has three references to being household help - household assistant, brother-wrangler, sous chef - and one reference to being an office assistant which is a different job title than research assistant.

I feel like a lot of SAHDs are a bit hazy on what full time employment means in the larger world.  It's at least 32 hours of work a week, but 40 hours of work per week.  The details vary quite a bit - but real jobs make multi-tasking between child-care, household chores and the minutia of the job damn near impossible.   That's not because child-care and household work isn't work - but rather because it is!  

I just have a hard time imagining that Jasmine at 18 was able to block out eight hours a day where she was working solely on collecting materials for her father's book without being available for taking care of her 6 younger siblings or doing one of the many chores required in a family with a lot of small children under foot.

This next section shows how Jasmine can miss the point of a complement:
And, just a note here, for those who often tell me that they admire my discipline for being able to pursue an online college degree in lieu of being told what to do every step of the way by tradition college. I think that there is something seriously amiss in a world where students are thought responsible enough to be shipped away from their parents and make wise decisions on a secular college campus, but not responsible enough to take initiative and study under the guidance of their parents at home. (pg. 164-165)
A person compliments Jasmine on doing an online degree - and Jasmine immediately claps back with the fact that most college kids are immature so more of them should study at home with their parents.

That feels like a major over-reach based on CP/QF myths about college students rather than an experience-based discussion of the merits of different methods of learning.

Doing entirely online classes are hard for many different reasons.   

First, entirely online learners miss many of the unspoken benefits of in-person classes.  Humans learn better when they feel like part of a community and showing up in person to a classroom with other students builds community.  Being physically present among other students makes planning for study groups much more simple.   Students remind each other directly and indirectly of assignments that are due soon and tests that are coming up.  Instructors and students also tend to interact more when placed in a room together.

Second, entirely online learners miss benefits accrued from being on a college campus.  CP/QF fearmongers make college campuses sound like a giant drug-fueled orgy - but that's not the main drift of campus life let alone the academic center of colleges.  Physically being present on a college campus allows spontaneous synchronous communication on top of planned online interactions.  I cannot count the number of thought-provoking conversations I've had with professors while helping take-down a lab, walking to or from a presentation, or by just stopping in during office hours.   Similarly, getting academic help can be easier because students have online options for contacting professors or tutors - but they also have access to office hours and drop-in tutoring labs.   In the same theme, there's an added convenience of having rapid access in person to the library, academic counseling and financial counseling that is simply not as rapidly available online.  

Much of this was doubly true when older members of the CP/QF generation - like Sarah (Mally) Hancock and Sarah Maxwell - were college-aged.  When we were college-aged, we could use the internet to search for references but still needed to write out interlibrary loan slips by hand.  I would then receive a photocopy of the article in a week or so.  Honestly, I was just grateful that I didn't have to do research using a card catalog!

College is challenging; online college is more challenging.   The fact that young Jasmine couldn't clearly describe why people kept complimenting her on choosing a more challenging road shows how sheltered she was from the reality of why people do college classes on campus.

10 comments:

  1. Commuter university students are more common in Canada. Most of my friends in Montreal attended one of the 4 universities in the area.

    And even now, you can't really participate in a chemistry or robotics lab at home, or really, do drama or visual arts remotely. I do remote music lessons for fun but they'd work better in person.

    I guess for straight liberal arts and math and maybe social sciences you could get the communication with good internet and a shared blackboard but otherwise you miss a lot more even beyond sharing ideas and having them challenged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention commuting! Living at home while attending school is also very, very common in the US. Honestly, it's the cheapest way for most people to attend colleges. The percentage of college students who commute from home is between 40-50% in most years.

      Where I live, there are two community colleges where everyone lives off campus, one state university within easy commuting distance, and five private colleges within easy commuting distance. There are also satellite campuses of three other state universities in the city.

      This is a little harder to pull off if you live in a very rural area of a rural state - and there are entire chunks of Michigan where accessing college campuses is much harder - but even there there is usually a community college that could be used for the first two years of college.

      Delete
    2. I attended a small private university (3000-4000 students when I was there in the mid-2000s, I think) and most of the students were commuters. Even with the university's sort-of mandate that first and second years should reside on-campus if not living with family, there were ways around that. And that still left most third and fourth years as commuters due to limited housing availability on-campus, as well as the entirety of the graduate studies students, as campus housing was only available for undergrads. At a big state university, living off-campus might be less common for students whose families don't live nearby, but even then, it can be cheaper to rent a place off-campus and do your own grocery shopping than it might be living on-campus. I moved off-campus in my fourth year because I got married and the school didn't offer couples' housing. I found I greatly preferred the privacy that came with not being at school all the time. You get a lot more of people just dropping by when you're in a dorm and as an introvert, I just find that a bit uncomfortable. Plus the worst apartment we lived in off-campus was still more comfortable in a LOT of ways than the dorms.

      Delete
    3. I commuted for my first part-time semester and my first year. I lived on campus for years 2,3, and 4 and off-campus again for student teaching.

      I didn't mind living in the traditional dorms - but my first roommate was a nursing student who studied a lot. We did well enough although we were never close friends.

      My second acquaintance roommate was challenging. She'd talk to me regardless of if I was showing any sign of interest - including me saying "I do not want to talk right now. Please stop talking to me." During a time I was trying to extinct that behavior, she talked to my back while I was laying with my back turned to her reading on my bunk for 15 minutes by my clock. Thankfully, the campus census was low right then, so I found out that there were completely empty rooms on the next floor up and got permission to go there at the semester change.

      My last year on campus I lived in a house reserved for a campus club. I shared the former dinning room with two other girls in a house of 10 girls. At the semester change, my roommates moved to an apartment that opened up and a few housemates traveled abroad so I ended up with my own room in a house of 7.

      Delete
  2. I'm a professor (though this is only my second year). The difference between teaching online (as I've been doing since March 2020) and in the classroom (fall semester 2019) is astronomical. I think the experience for my students is pretty similar - most of them really miss in-person classes.

    The kind of course also really matters, beyond the basic "hard to do a science lab over zoom". I taught a data science course over zoom last semester, and people found it much harder to follow in an asynchronous format than either the same course taught synchronously in person, or a different social science course I taught asynchronously in the same semester.

    tl;dr - online college is a great experience for many students, but for many folks it is genuinely more difficult than the traditional experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That aligns with what I saw when teaching a combination of in-person, hybrid and (occasionally) online-only courses at the high school level. The failure or non-completion rate was highest for online only (where a few passed) compared to hybrid (40-50% passed) which was higher than in-person (80-90% pass rate)

      For my high schoolers, hybrid worked well enough for a subset of highly motivated students who used the hybrid model to fit a high school education around major needs like caring for a young infant, supporting themselves or their family, or dealing with a chronic illness. These students were also older - say 17-21 compared to 14-16 - and were within a year of graduation.

      Delete
    2. Motivation is such a huge factor! The data science course is geared explicitly towards students who have no background in those sorts of things, and learning R asynchronously is really hard. I would have weekly synchronous lab sessions for everyone where they would have a chance to ask me questions + work on a coding problem in a small group context, but if students didn't listen to the lecture ahead of time, it would be difficult for them to even know where to begin. Very happy I'm never going to have to teach that course online again!

      Delete
    3. Oh, that sounds terribly challenging! I didn't tackle R until I was a graduate student who had several statistics classes with emphasis on use in research under my belt and some basic practice in HTML/CSS for this blog - and R was still a bit...quirky, I guess...within a 4 hour once a week class that I had to take twice...and never really finished.

      In 2015, I was in a car accident with 5 weeks left in the semester that caused post-concussion syndrome that messed with my ability to do much of everything and I had to withdraw.

      In 2016, I was feeling better, albeit pregnant with Spawn. I made it two weeks closer to finish before HELLP syndrome set us off on a new adventure. Technically, I didn't finish the class - but the professor gave me a "B" since I had a 100% average on `85% of the work.

      Actually, my favorite memory from that class was that Spawn would bounce and wiggle excitedly when we'd start new material. I suspect that was due to the fact that 1)I'd eat dinner while we were correcting our homework and covering student questions so Spawn got a rush of blood sugar at around the same time that 2) I got excited by new material and had a little spike of adrenaline leading to a bouncy baby in my stomach.

      Delete
  3. I would actually say my experience living on campus for college was at least half the value of my overall education experience. I grew so much, learned how to relate to peers in a new way, made a ton of friends and built a network that is still there decades later.
    I know Jasmine could build networks like that via online only, but it's way harder, to be honest.
    The amount of energy CP/QF spends "no"ing things is exorbitant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is in the contrarian phase - his favorite phrases are "No", "Not yet", and "Nope".

      He still does more things than most CP.QF kids are allowed to do.

      Delete