Monday, November 30, 2015

RU: Labor Exploitation for Jesus - Part Nine

I think I can get through the rest of the handbook in two posts.  Today's theme: clothing and cleanliness.  You may be confused - didn't we cover clothing requirements before?  Yes, in Part Six

My thoughts:

  • The quotes from 1 Peter: " for it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” and " But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people,[a] in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
  • Quote from 2 Corinthians: "15 What agreement does Christ have with Beliar? Or what does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we[a] are the temple of the living God; as God said,
    “I will live in them and walk among them,
        and I will be their God,
        and they shall be my people.
    17 Therefore come out from them,
        and be separate from them, says the Lord,
    and touch nothing unclean;
        then I will welcome you,
  • I have no clue how any of these verses apply to wearing a belt and keeping shirts tucked in.
  • No V-necked tee-shirts, huh.  Must be the sign of the devil.
  • Another way to save on costs: make the patients do the cooking.  This practice is illegal in the way that RU Ministries does it.
From Illinois Legal Aid:
"Working for the Facility
The facility cannot force you to perform work for the facility, except that you may be required to perform your own housekeeping chores.
Example: The facility can have rules requiring you to sweep and dust your room, but the facility cannot require you to cut the grass or sweep the hallways.
If you agree to perform work for the facility, you are entitled to be paid a fair amount for your services, in accordance with federal and state wage laws."
  •  I strongly doubt the legality of being paid by the facility and then having the facility take that money directly as payment for treatment. Doubly so since RU has no set "total cost" that a patient needs to cover during their stay; RU just takes all of your wages earned during your treatment period.
My thoughts:
  • So far, all I know to pack as a woman is 3 dresses or 3 skirt/blouse combinations, a black sweater, shoes and hosiery.  How do I know what to bring?  I suspect there are rules about how much skin can be showing - but if you don't tell me ahead of time, how can I plan accordingly?
  • How does this fit in with one of the "volunteer jobs" available for RU women - working in the shipping department of RU?  I stumbled upon this gem while looking up the tax status of RU.
    Screen Capture from 11/2016.  Underlining adding by Mel for emphasis.



    My two cents:


  • Mark 5:15 tells me what I to know about how RU views their patients.  "They came to Jesus and saw the demoniac sitting there, clothed and in his right mind, the very man who had had the legion; and they were afraid."  Yes, patients need to dress nicely because like the demonically possessed man in the Gospel, you can scare your neighbors into believing in Jesus if you wear a nice shirt and hair cut above the ears while dealing with addictions.  
  • John 11:39 tells me what I need to know about how RU views their patients. "Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead four days.”  Fuckers.

My thoughts:
  • The main bullets are SOP in most institutions to prevent chaos.
  • The random search and seizure of items in rooms is completely legal.  I don't know about searches of persons - that's not covered in the legal documents I've found online.
  • We covered above how unpaid chores outside of keeping your room clean is illegal in Illinois.
  • To my way of thinking, the Bible verse from 1 Corinthians is a scathing indictment of RU:
    • 1 Corinthians 4:2 "Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy."
  • To my way of thinking, the Bible verses from Matthew are a scathing indictment of how RU sees their patients:
    • Matthew 25:21 " His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’"
    • Matthew 25:29 " For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for giving us insights and inspirations. This article is really helpful and informative. We would like to see more updates from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete