Monday, April 20, 2020

The Battle Of Peer Dependency: Chapter Three - Part Five

In broader Christian life, people are supposed to put God first, others second, and themselves last.  Swap out "God" for "Jesus" and you get the acronym "JOY".  Plenty has been written about the dangers of placing seven billion people's needs in front of your own needs - but Christians pretty solidly agree  that following the will of God should be first.

Well, Marina Sears in her opus "The Battle of Peer Dependency" repeatedly demonstrates that CP/QF families expect their children to place the desires of the parents first, God second, and everyone else in the universe last:
For five years, I didn't understand that the reason he didn't want to go in the direction that God was pointing our family was because he had decided in his heart that he wanted to go in the direction of his friends. So I approached my child and asked him, " Do I have your heart?" I was wondering who was on the throne of his life in relationship to Proverbs 23:26 and Malachi 4:5-6.

"No," he replied.

With heart pounding, I asked, "Does God have your heart?"

His answer was the same. "No!"

"Well, who does have your heart?" I asked.

" I do," he said.

Panic flooded my soul is I thought about the ramifications of his answer.  Questions filled my mind as I struggled with what to do. How can I change this heart? Is there anything another individual can do in order to change the heart of another person? Is God the only one who can change a person's heart? (pgs. 37-38)
Mrs. Sears sets up this entire chapter leading to a climax where she realizes that she's lost the heart of her son to peer dependency - and the implication is that any response from parents no matter how draconian is legitimate to make the child or teenager give their heart back to the parent.

That was her intent, but the story as written makes her seem deranged. 

I hope in real life she had taken some time to lead into a loaded question with her son before tossing "Do I have your heart?" at him - but as written - she may well have thrown the question at him while shopping, or doing laundry or passing in the hallway.

More broadly, the first correct answer should have been "Yes, you have my heart, mother!" rather than declaring allegiance to God above all others or explaining that under Biblical principles the teenager was an adult responsible for his life choices before God starting at age 13 - so it would immoral for him to give his heart to his mother.   His mother clearly throws the question about God out as a frantic attempt to regain mastery of the situation - but the fact that obedience to God is a secondary concern permeates the entire story. The invocation of Malachi 4:5-6 is unintentionally ironic given Mrs. Sears' placement of God as less important than herself; Malachi 4 is a standard warning from a prophet that people are drifting away from worship of the Lord and that divine smiting is approaching again.  The declaration of parents and children turning to each other means nothing outside of the fact that parents teach their children how to obey the Law - and teaching children encourages parents to obey the Law as well. 

Including Proverbs 23:26 shows CP/QF's sloppy methodology of reading comprehension; that verse is the beginning of a parental decree that young men don't have sex with prostitutes and don't marry young women who will cheat on them.  While good advice, it's not exactly groundbreaking in terms of parental advice - and certainly not a huge thrust of Christian life.

The frantic questions that Mrs. Sears asks herself about how she can change her son's heart are both touching and disturbing at the same time.   The questions are heartbreaking because the questions echo the pathos of parents who see that their children are on a dangerous path but are unable to stop the choices being made by the older teen or adult child.    Those same questions take on a disturbing patina, however, when directed at a young teen or tween by a parent who literally controls everything in that person's life.   Mrs. Sears had effectively isolated her children from every outside influence that could provide some grounding outside of her personal desires.  She is their teacher - and their mother - and the person who keeps her children away from outside families in their church.   The same wrenching questions asked by a parent whose child is spiralling into mental illness or criminal behavior become sinister when the parent is asking the questions of a healthy, law-abiding teen who wants to play volleyball with his friends and listen to pop music.

The last quote that we'll discuss from this chapter is proffered as a way to test of a child is peer-dependent.   Honestly, the activities discussed here remind me far more of a cult leader assessing if their followers are suitably dependent on them or a domestic abuser trying to see if they have adequate control over their victims than normal parent-child behavior:
One approach a parent might take in order to find out if his son or daughter is peer dependent is to tell your child that all outside activities with peers will be suspended for one week. Will your child willingly and joyfully go along with that plan, or will they whine and cry, manipulate and control, and completely make your life miserable until they can do things with their friends? Another approach is to simply ask, "Who has your heart?" or "Who would you say is in control of your life?" (pg. 38)
"Hello, family.  This is your Beloved Leader speaking.   All peer activities will be canceled this week.  Everything here is happy and neutral* here!"

That is a level of behavior and emotional control that I have not expected out of my child since he was around 4 months old.

Why 4 months?  That's about when he started to figure out that he was a separate person from me.

 I do expect my son to eventually go along with decisions he doesn't like - but I always explain why (as best I can) in an age-appropriate method and I accept that "going along" doesn't mean "be happy about the decision".   

For example, I went to a new park with him that had paved walking/biking paths so he could use his walker.   I hadn't realized that the park had several playground areas scattered about.   My son really wanted to go play on the playground - especially the one that was perfectly preschooler sized - but we couldn't because public play equipment is closed under the current stay-at-home order. 

He's way too young to understand COVID-19 so I told him we couldn't play because that area was closed.   Spawn was angry-sad and he threw a tiny temper tantrum. (He actually picked up his walker and slammed it back onto the ground; I was impressed at his motor control while pissed off).

 I told him that I wanted to play there too - but we couldn't right now - and look, there's an area where like 7 paved paths come together....wouldn't that be fun in a walker?   He took off towards the merged paths area - which is all I ever expect in terms of "going along".

I didn't declare that his feelings were a sign that he was peer-dependent because 1)he's not; he's not quite into cooperative play yet and 2) I accept that he's needs more than being attached to me for his entire life.

Teaching your kids that any authority figure should be obeyed unquestioningly when giving harmful orders without any rationale is seductive if you want to control them.   Remember, though, that a parent who raises their kids like that is also raising their kids to be extremely attractive to abusive people.  Abusers are attracted to docile people who don't make a fuss when you isolate them from friends and family.......

*Yes, I've been watching "Tiger King" on Netflix - a story of 2-3 cults depending on how you class a cult.  For people who haven't watched, there's a guy named "Doc" Antle who is the head of a polygamous cult that supports itself by breeding tiger cubs and getting a lot of money from photo ops and cub petting.   There's a whole ton of cult-speak that spews out of Antle - but the point where he describes everyone as being "happy and neutral" was pretty much the moment that I said "Yup, that's the money-line for every cult."

22 comments:

  1. Yikes. I feel like this entire book could be a case study on disordered parenting. It's like TV drama where ten minutes into the episode, you realize your hero is an unreliable narrator and probably the villain.

    On another note, I always thought it was odd how fundamentalist parents demand that their children sweetly and happily submit to things that no adult would be okay with being subjected to. What adult do you know that would enthusiastically acquiesce to having all contact with their friends and hobbies banned for a week just to pander to someone else's paranoia? Would they be okay if their boss spanked them with a belt every time they did something incorrectly on their job, even if that was just not smiling enough? Kids are people too and developmentally have less maturity and control than the adults inflicting these things on them. The fact that Lori resents her children for trying to "manipulate and control, and completely make [her] life miserable" when she's self-confessedly actively doing the same to them is...disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This entire book reminds me of the saying "The floggings will continue until morale improves" - but without any irony.

      Most kids and most teenagers are reasonable creatures. Lots are not thrilled that their peer relationships have been changed by COVID - but most are accepting that this is what we need to do right now. Similarly, I accepted when my parents needed to change my schedule of things because of outside needs.

      This book, on the other hand, is likely to cause massed rebellion out of otherwise calm kids.

      Delete
  2. It is telling that this struggle is framed as a battle between parents and peers over who gets to influence the child. Said child is portrayed as having no internal drive of their own, the assumption being that rebellion must have been sparked by outside influence. Sears refuses to believe her children can come up with their own ideas.

    I think a lot of people have very wrong ideas about "peer pressure". They think of it only in the context of teens encouraging other teens to do bad things. They don't realise that peer pressure is ubiquitous in society, and that training their children to "resist" peer pressure can potentially backfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book feels like Sears has taken the idea of "tabula rasa" to the extreme. All children can be raised into whatever mold their parents want them to be - as long as the kids are kept away from anyone who isn't with the program.

      You'd think, though, that the mother of four kids would realize that kids are very different from each other from birth. That kids have different innate personalities, strengths and weaknesses - and those differences are magnified by the choices the kid makes. Trying to stuff all kids into the same mold is a bad idea - especially since not every kid will make a good molded shape.

      Delete
  3. I remember reading the stories of people who'd left evangelical/fundamentalist upbringings behind. As kids they would be punished for not obeying fast enough or cheerfully. Think daring to say "In a minute! I'm just finishing braiding my hair!" when mum calls for dinner, and getting a serious beating with a belt because you should drop what you're doing and rush to obey. And you have to do so with a smile because in their households obedience should be cheerful and instant. Anything less is disrespectful of the parents (and 'honour your father and mother' is one of those commandments...) and any resistance or lack of cheerfulness is a sign the person hasn't properly submitted themselves to their headship.

    Under those conditions it probably seems 'normal' to declare "Right no one is seeing their friends for a week. No reason other than I say so." and expect people to smile along with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I can't wrap my head around in those households is what the parents are trying to accomplish in the first place. There's a time and a place where highly regimented responses to situations are needed - like a L&D ward when a dangerous birth complication occurs - but the vast majority of time and places have plenty of wiggle room for completing an activity.

      As a minor secondary concern, first-time-obedience assumes that parents have all the information necessary to make snap decisions. I rarely have all the information I need to order my son and husband to do things right now - and this is in a household of three! How much more chaotic is it to assume that mom or dad is aware of what every kid in the Duggars home is doing right now?

      Delete
  4. That conversation with the kid made me wonder if he understood she meant metaphorically. I mean, in a literal way, yeah, he has his heart, and she and God definitely don't, because it's in his chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got me. I assumed the whole 5 or 7 years of battle for her son's heart meant she was doing this when he was a young teen and wondered why he spent the rest of his teen years acting as if she was bonkers.

      I read it more as "Of course I have my own heart. If God had my heart, I'd be a puppet, not a real human."

      Delete
  5. I felt gross and suffocated just reading her question to her son. "Do I have your heart?????" Any healthy kid would look at the person who asked them that with horror and say "you're weird".

    It's incestuous. That's how it feels.

    It feels like she's treating her kids like they are supposed to fulfill her emotional need (which seems to be endless).

    When her son said "I do." I was like "GO KID!!!!!"

    It would take a ton of guts to be raised in an environment like that and be able to say that statement. She should be incredibly proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same "Yeah, boy!" reaction when I read that bit, lol.

      It's Botkin Syndrome all over again.

      Delete
  6. I missed your last post and just caught up. I have a question and hope you don´t mind me posting it here so as to have a better chance of you seeing it:
    Joyfully at Home is several years old, right? From a time when most quasi-famous SAHDs were still easily young enough to marry even for their subculture. So I guess I can forgive her for only thinking of herself when answering the first question about what she would do if her parents no longer needed her help at home (and mentioning the answer in her book). If she were to republish the same book today I´d see this non-answer as her throwing massive shade at her non-married peers. So... do you know what the current young CP/CF women´s publishings look like? Are there any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if yes: do *they* acknowledge the possibility they may never marry? Or do they pretend the first generation of famous CP/CF daughters doesn´t exist/did things wrong/are exceptions?

      Delete
    2. Joyfully At Home was published in 2010 so it is ten years old this year. In 2010, Sarah Mally would have been 31, Sarah Maxwell was 29, and the Botkin Sisters were 24 and 22 respectively. So...I suspect that Jasmine had an inkling even then that there were SAHDs who were not married by their mid-twenties. And her protests aside, the rate of marriage drops pretty fast in CP/QF for women after 25-26.

      I haven't seen any new books - but we're due for another round if CP/QF leaders want to publish more.

      What the first generation did wrong will be just like every other time: they didn't follow the plan correctly unlike the girl writing this book who is doing it right, lol.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that. I wasn´t aware that the Sarahs were older than and the same age as me respectively. Very curious to see if there will be a market for a new generation of this drivel. It´s not like they´d have any new information to add.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I remember the moment when I was reading "Before You Meet Prince Charming" and Sarah Mally mentioned casually that she started "Bright Lights" ministry at age 17 in 1996. That threw me for a second because I graduated from 8th grade in 1996 so that meant Sarah Mally was a few years older than me.

      Sarah Maxwell and I are essentially the same age; she's 3 or 4 months younger than I am - but that doesn't matter much once you've turned 5, lol.

      And these are just the young women who are kind of well-known. I suspect there are other SAHDs or young women in ATI or VF influenced families who are unmarried past their early twenties.

      Turns out Sarah Mally wrote another book fairly recently - and sold enough that they've started appearing on the secondary book market. I've ordered a copy of that - and the Maxwell's second newest opus on how to buy a house debt free has dropped into the $20 range from $150 on the secondhand market so I'll probably be getting that one soon too.

      Delete
    5. wait, they charge $150 for a book????

      Delete
    6. No. Well, not the Maxwells, anyways. Their books are priced in the $10-25 dollar range - but I have a rule about not financing crazy so I buy all of the CP/QF books I review second-hand. When Maxwell (or any of the other vanity press books) come out, the second-hand supply is so low that people price the books in the $100-200 range....which is also crazy. So...I wait for the prices to drop as more people purchase, read, and sell their copy.

      Delete
    7. Very much looking forward to your review of Sarah Mally´s latest book!

      Delete
  7. So her response to him saying "I do" was to ban friends? That's demented. Why does she even think friends are the problem when he didn't mention his friends that whole conversation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Sears (I suspect) was looking to ban friends because she wanted total control over her obedient children so that they could be happy shining little beacons of hope despite having their dad die tragically.

      Her goal has always been having her kids turn out just right so that God's Will would be done and everyone would marvel at the family.

      IOW, any time her kids move away from following what she wants - or growing up - she freaks out and drags them back in. She was looking for a reason to ban friends; the theological implications were created after the fact.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant warning to parents, and one that a frightening number need. I wonder how Sears' poor kids are doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I have no idea. I did a quick internet search to see if I could find her and I couldn't find her. Hopefully, she's seen the insanity of her ways and has made amends.

      Delete