Thursday, June 14, 2018

Maxwell Reading Criteria Review

I pulled out my copy of "Raising Sons to Provide for Single-Income Families" and realized that we are finished with the review!  The last chapter is simply a mild rehash of the first few chapters without any particularly interesting quotes to discuss.  The next Maxwell book on the docket to review is "Raising Great Conversationalists" - which amuses me on so many levels.   Before I start that, I realized that I've alluded to, but never discussed, the chaotic mess of rules the Maxwells have created around reading books.  We already know that the Maxwells abstain piously from any visual media, watching professional sports, playing team sports, owning outdoor recreation vehicles, hunting or fishing.  For me, getting rid of all of those activities would greatly increase the amount of time I spent reading.  The Maxwells, though, have managed to ban the vast majority of books written in English - so starting a conversation with them will be tricky.

Before we dive into the prohibitions, take a few moments to think of your favorite book as a child, as a preteen, as a teenager and as an adult.  Luxuriate in the details of the plot.  Enjoy the art of the writing.  Think of how much pleasure you have received from that book.  Realize that the Maxwell kids (especially the ones born after Sarah) have probably never read any of those books - and never will.

The section on the family's reading rules is in an appendix in "Managers of their Schools".  It's pretty much a bunch of Bible quotes with restrictions supported by the quotes.   The heart of the matter is summarized at the end of the first paragraph.

We would rather not read than to read what we don't see as matching up with Scripture.

If Steven and Teri Maxwell wanted to obey that dictum themselves, I can support their right to do that as adults - but they hold the same principles for their homeschooled kids.   Practically, their kids received no language arts training in any fiction or nonfiction forms of literature after the kids were reading fluently in 3rd grade.    Disturbingly, the Maxwell adults swear that their kids don't need to learn about things like "structure, style, theme, plot, character development, figurative language, imagery, symbolism and tone" (pg. 43) because their adult children aren't going to be spending time reading fiction as adults so why bother?

The obvious rebuttal is that non-fiction uses all of those things as well and looking critically at fiction when young makes adults more savvy consumers of written media.    (Bluntly, if you don't know that non-fiction uses all of those things, you have no business creating your own homeschool curricula for your kids; the Maxwells are clearly in over their head.)

I digress.  Think of books you like.  Let's see how long they survive on the list.  I've added books that I enjoy that are banned in italics followed by my thoughts and musings for each rule.

Themes/subjects that cause books to be banned:

  • Animal characters that act like humans (IOW, anthropomorphism)
    • Rejected books: The Berenstain Bears Series; Llama Llama Series, the Click, Clack, Moo series,  Corderoy, Curious George, Ferdinand the Bull, the Narnia Series, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Watership Down, Animal Farm...and the first Chapter of Genesis along with the story of Balaam the Donkey.
    • There is an implication that exposing kids to anthropomorphism makes them unable to differentiate between truth and fiction.  In reality, kids get that animals don't really act like humans from the animals they see in everyday life.
  • Sibling fighting 
    • Rejected books: Every book where a child character has siblings.  Most books where adult characters have siblings.
    • At this point, the vast majority of kids' fictional books are out.  For most kids, their life revolves around dealing with the interpersonal stresses of living in families and schools with friends who have disagreements with them - so banning disagreements from fiction really limits the options for storylines.  
  • Disobedient children (without consequences) AND/OR
  • Bad role models even if the bad actors receive consequences for their actions.
    • Rejected books: the Boxcar Kids series, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events series, Anne of Green Gables series, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry trilogy
    • This section is contradictory because the first sentence of the paragraph states that the kids can't read anything with bad role models regardless of comeuppance - and after the required Bible verses - the last sentence states that books with kids who do bad things and are not punished should be banned.  So...which is it?
  • Silliness or foolishness
    • Rejected books: Anything I read before age 6 or so..... including Dr. Seuss and "Good Night, Moon."
    • I can't think of a children's non-board book that's still in play.  My 18 month old son's board book library would be down to books that are essentially early vocabulary books long with "Where's Your Hat, Abraham Lincoln?" and "Cheer Up,  Ben Franklin."
  • Fairy tales and myths
    • Rejected books: Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Rumpelstiltskin, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox, Johnny Appleseed, Pandora's Box, Gilgamesh, Beowulf.
    • On a "positive" note, the Maxwell children will never be disturbed by the fact that the first few chapters of Genesis are taken from previous civilizations' writings.  Yay?
    • On the negative side, they won't understand why I was so excited to read that retting flax in dew compared to running water changes the color of the thread from silvery-white to golden-white.  You really can teach people to spin straw into gold.
  • Mythical characters, witchcraft and magic
    • Rejected books: Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, the Harry Potter series, A Wrinkle in Time series, the Discworld series, some of the Goosebumps series.
  • Any discussion of luck. 
    • Rejected books:  Um...I'm drawing a blank on books that would be knocked out on this characteristic.
    • This one feels like a blanket chance for the Maxwell parents to take away any book that's made it past  the other stipulations.
Additional stipulations:
  • Books must be non-fiction or fiction that is plausible. (And on a completely unrelated note, Sarah Maxwell writes and sells these!  The appendix includes how to buy those....)
    • This knocked out any science fiction that might have survived. 
  • Books must be edifying and encourage people to a stronger walk with Christ.  However: 
    • Description of other world religions or mythologies are banned.
      • The parents pre-read history textbooks and use permanent marker to blacken out any sections that factually describe other religions.  
    • Any type of evil (defined as violence, crime, wickedness and sin) will cause the book to be banned.  
  • Stories involving war are also banned to avoid militarizing their sons. 
So...does anyone know of edifying books that have no mention of other religions, sin, violence, crime or war?   Because - and I'm dead serious - they knocked out the Bible without realizing it.  

I'm tempted to go to one of the Maxwell conferences and try and strike up a conversation with one of the Maxwell adult children about books....

25 comments:

  1. I'm looking at our bookshelves, and feeling very sad for the Maxwell kids. No Ramona books, no James Herriot, no Diana Wynne Jones, no L. M. Montgomery.... Books were and are such an important part of my life and I love sharing stories with my daughter. I can't imagine willfully depriving your family of books like that. My parents mostly let us read whatever we wanted and trusted us to make good decisions about the content. Heck, my mom didn't really like Harry Potter so she handed me "A Wizard of Earthsea" to read, too, but didn't ban Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom mentioned in passing recently that she tried to keep up with reading what my twin and I wanted to read when we were young because we were highly precocious readers and she wanted to make sure we didn't end up being frightened by material we were too young for.

      Pretty quickly, she just made it clear that we could talk to her about anything and would check in if we were reading something dramatic. I'm sure she was sick of hearing about Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley Twins - but she let us read them.

      Delete
    2. Interestingly, my parents temporarily banned the Babysitters' Club books. They thought they were giving me nightmares, and since the nightmares stopped after the books were banned, they assumed those were the cause. I have no idea, honestly, but when I flipped through one at the thrift store a year ago, it was pretty much utter drivel. Maybe that's why I was having bad dreams. A year or two later, I was allowed the Babysitters' Club again and no nightmares resulted.

      One of my favourite books as a kid, which was a comfort read when I woke up scared in the middle of the night (due in part to the anxiety disorder that went undiagnosed until adulthood), was "Good Night, Mr. Tom" which is a novel about an abused child who is evacuated out to the countryside in England during WWII. He lands with an older single man who believes in treating children like human beings and eventually ends up adopting the kid. The book has some really sad and dark themes, but the end is very hopeful, so I suppose that's why I always felt reassured after reading it.

      Delete
    3. I still love and guffaw over some of the BSC books, esp appreciating some of the specials written in the form of letters and/or the ones that deal with serious issues. Some of the books were ruined by very bad ghostwriters down the line, which I actually had no idea about until I discovered a delightful site dedicated to writing "snark" reviews on the worst of the lot. If you're interested, this is my favorite snark author :) She's sometimes crude, but I almost bust a muscle laughing at her: https://bsc-snark.livejournal.com/?skip=30&poster=3-foot-6

      Delete
  2. A few years ago I was at an event where there were a lot of CP/QF folks and I started talking with a girl about books. I told her I was reading The Scarlet Letter for school, and she looked at me with a face of disgust and confusion and asked "isn't that about a woman who commits adultery?"

    Yah sweetie you know what else is about adultery and incest and rape and murder and everything in between? The Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blinks*

      Yeah, that's what the Scarlet A stands for. It's hardly a glorification of adultery. I doubt the girl would have approved of the twist at the end, either. :-)

      Delete
  3. Isn't Sarah Maxwell the one who wrote about the CP princess with the anthropomorphic alligator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - but I can see the confusion. The SAHD who wrote "Before You Meet Prince Charming" is Sarah Mally.

      In a strange bit of irony, they are pretty close in age and don't look dissimilar...

      Delete
    2. And interesting that it goes to show that the Maxwells are so rigid that not even other extremely-cloistered, CP/QF families have high enough standards for them.

      Delete
    3. Isn't that why their daughters are still at home?

      Delete
    4. With the level of control Steven Maxwell exerts over his family, I can't imagine a suitor who wanted to go through Maxwell's brainwashing to become the correct man for his daughters.

      Of his four married sons, two had failed engagements prior to their marriage. Not failed courtships; weddings that were planned with celebratory engagement photos taken were canceled. The one woman who has spoken out about her engagement to Christopher makes it clear that the relationship broke down when she questioned some of the ways that Christopher behaved towards her. The other young woman hasn't spoken publicly about ending her relationship with Joseph - but the engagement was canceled immediately after the Maxwell clan headed up to meet her family.

      Imagine having a young daughter (late teens or very early 20's) who is marrying into the Maxwell clan. I'm sure I'd tell her to run away after meeting Steven too.

      Delete
  4. If any of the members of the Maxwell family are *not* struggling with depression or anxiety I am really amazed. I don't know how you can live with this many things shut out of life and still function.
    Did he sit down and make a list of everything that could be fun or joy-filled for his kids and then just make up reasons they're wrong? Cause it seems like all this is a deliberate attempt to stifle fun, creative thought, imagination, individuality.... etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Teri Maxwell has struggled with depression badly when her three oldest were young. She knew it was worst in the year following the birth of a baby and that's why Steve got a vasectomy after Sarah was born.

      Pretty quickly, Steve wanted to get a reversal because God. They did eventually and had Joseph. In a book written when Mary was 4-ish, she mentions that her depression finally lifted eight years before - so I assume the postpartum depression resumed when she started having babies again.

      Steve Maxwell is all about control. I don't know that he cares as much about what he's controlling as long as he's in control. And, yes, it means his kids are only allowed to do what he wants which is living in close proximity, running, doing CrossFit-like stuff at home, bothering people under the guise of converting them, and renovating houses. That's it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh, these people..they might as well admit it, they allowed their children NO BOOKS, besides maybe alphabet learning and very short, peaceful Amish-child type books? (Minus the Amish part, being an evil difference of beliefs, I'm betting).

    "Books must be non-fiction or fiction that is plausible"

    With happy children who never misbehave, disagree with their siblings, question beliefs or play make-believe.

    Truly, how stunted could these kids be? They are the most fearful QF family I've ever heard of. Excellent series though Mel, and you concluded with a bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm dead serious that my son's library is down to books like "Trucks" or "Animals". The two history books (Cheer Up, Ben Franklin! and Where's Your Hat, Abe Lincoln?) survived a little longer - but Ben Franklin was not edifying and I'm not sure if Abe would survive.

      Delete
  7. I’ve never seen anyone so determined to hold life at bay as Steve Maxwell. He is absolutely terrified of life.

    The whole point of books for me (both as a child and as a parent) was to learn to be fully human in the world: books help you navigate serious emotions when you are young but only if you are allowed to read widely. I learned about true sorrow and grief by reading Johnny Tremain and years later, held my son as he sobbed about Rab’s death. Other books taught me to laugh at myself when the authors laughed at themselves (Our Hearts were Young and Gay made me laugh until I cried).

    But the my favorite book of all time is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It is an astonishingly honest look at the lives of the marginal and poor in the late 19th early 20th century. I’m sure it would horrify Steve for exactly the reasons I find it so powerful: it deals with real life in all its beauty and sorrow. How sad that his children will never know the impact a truly great book can have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved book that show me all the complexities of the world. I feel sad that Maxwell has stripped his kids' lives of all complexity.

      Delete
  8. Out of curiosity I looked through our board book collection and found 8 he would approve of and those are books for babies. Some are a little iffy too. Furry Friends! has a bear wearing a hat on the cover so that's probably out even though the rest of the book animals act like animals. I suspect he wouldn't pick up I Smell Honey even though it technically meets his requirements. I also Suspect he wouldn't like Welcome by Mo Williams. It might give baby the idea they are entitled to a certain amount of attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I read my son a dinosaur book this morning that was completely factual and had dinosaurs acting like dinosaurs - but the first page did mention that the dinosaurs lived a long time ago. I don't know what form of creationism the Maxwells adhere to, but that might have knocked out a fun little board book that talks about the different sizes of pterodactyls.....

      Delete
    2. They're young earth creationists. They mentioned it when they went to the Grand Canyon.

      https://blog.titus2.com/2008/01/18/the-grand-canyon/

      Delete
    3. @Meg Oh, goody. Creationism requires mangling science beyond belief - but YEC requires bending what you see around you beyond belief....

      Delete
    4. It baffles me too. They talked about it more in their post about Carlsbad Caverns too.

      https://blog.titus2.com/2010/01/07/carlsbad-caverns/

      Delete
  9. All these CP/QF rules almost seem to be designed to stunt one's offspring and leave them as permanent children. It's no wonder that most of the non-bible books that pass the standards are baby board books - virtually anything else, even anything that's meant for *older children*, is not allowed.

    I think it's very curious to see what happens to the younger CP/QF generation as they grow up, since presumably their parents did read at least *some* of the books they would not allow their children while growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered if the crux of CP/QF's rules are to keep children dependent on their parents for as long as possible. Many - although hardly all - of the women in CP/QF life show tendencies of being codependent or unhealthily enmeshed with their children. For me, the fact that Michelle Duggar assigned her youngest child an older buddy at 6-9 months of age is telling. That's the age where infants go through the first stages of differentiating self from their caregiver; prior to that the infant literally sees themself as part of the caregiver. For me, that budding sense of self has been a relief - my son was finally mature enough that he didn't need me for everything! But when you use your children's needs to compensate for your own emotional needs, that first step towards independence brings a lot of pain - so better to hand the baby off to someone else.

      Delete