Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Homeschooling Badly: Why Math-phobic Homeschooling Parents Frustrate Me

Howdy, folks!

I never cease to be amazed by the sheer repetition of articles on homeschooling mom blogs that claim that parents who are really bad at math personally can totally homeschool math through high school through a few easy tips.   I mean, you'd think I get some kind of callus after a while, but I'm still horrified each time.  Amy at Raising Arrows wrote a post to advertise "Teaching Textbooks" that lead off with this admission:
It’s not a story I like to tell…

The one about how it took me 3 tries to pass the test to get into College Algebra.

Or the one about how my math score on the ACT brought down my entire score.

Or the one about how I would have had a 4.0 if it hadn’t been for…you guessed it…MATH.

So, when it came to homeschooling, math was the ONLY thing I was worried about. Sure, I could add and subtract, multiply and divide (as long as you didn’t throw a lot of extra stuff in there!), I could use fractions and decimals well enough to bake a cake or figure a tip, but higher level mathematical concepts made my eyes cross and run for the nearest calculator – even though I had no idea how to make the calculator do what I needed it to do to solve the problem.

Allow me to translate this into what it would sound like if she was admitting a similar level of unease with written English:

"It took me three tries to get into English 101 - General Composition.  Thank goodness!  Anything lower is considered remedial classes that don't count towards graduation credit.

My Language Arts score brought down my whole ACT test score! (ok, that statement might explain why it was so hard for the author to get into College algebra, actually, since she doesn't understand how averages work.)

I would have had a 4.0 (at some unstated educational level) if I didn't have to take English!

English was the only thing I was worried about when homeschooling.  It's not like you need writing in any other subject areas!  I can conjugate most tenses, use punctuation pretty well, write a 5-sentence paragraph, and spell most words (as long as you don't throw a lot of extra stuff in there!).  I can write a note to my spouse or my boss in a pinch, but higher level writing concepts make my eyes cross and run for the nearest dictionary - even though I had no idea how to make the dictionary write that college paper for me."

Let me explain how I created that paragraph.  Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fraction and decimals are covered in 5th grade or below.  I looked up the Common Core standards for 5th grade writing and inserted those into Amy's introduction along with the correct college course equivalent for College Algebra  which is generally the lowest entry-level math class that can count for graduation credits.

Can you imagine the level of outrage homeschool parents would have if a public school math teacher admitted that they were just barely functional at 5th grade math while teaching 5th-12th grade?  Oh, wait.  That can't happen in schools with certified teachers!  The minimum course of study in my state to teach secondary school math is a college minor in math which means the teacher would have to have passed calculus I and II plus college statistics.  Instead, homeschool parents console each other with the idea that no one is really good at math and since no one is good at math the parents have no responsibility to raise their personal math skills before teaching their kids.

Her first tip is to focus on the basics because basic math skills like addition and subtraction are the basis of all higher math.    That idea is true - but terribly misleading.   There are large conceptual jumps between basic addition, addition including "lots of extra stuff", adding like terms and adding two equations.   To use a history analogy, she's telling parents to just focus on dates of events because dates of events are the basis of history.  For English buffs, she's telling people to just hammer home vocabulary because words are the basis of reading and writing.

She leads off the basics section with the same hoary chestnut of comfort that all homeschool math deniers drag out at some point:
There’s no escaping the fact that it actually is true that only a select group of people will go on to use the concepts and equations taught in higher level math classes.

Yup.  The first group is people who want to pass out of College Algebra - which is a pretty huge swath of people in collegiate programs. 

 The second group would be all people in college degree level jobs in medicine, science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, agriculture, computer science, data analysis and education along with specialized careers in law, art restoration, archeology, and business off the top of my head.

I speak English, conversational ASL and broken Spanish.  My kid is very young, but I do not comfort myself with my lack of linguistic prowess by saying, "Well, not many people really use proficiency in a second language on a daily basis".   After all, he may well make a good living as a translator or an analyst if he learns more languages from the skilled teachers he will meet in school. 

I don't - but apparently homeschooling parents who are afraid of math are willing to close off entire career paths rather than learn some more math on their own.

Her next two points are a digression about using manipulatives followed by the idea that parents shouldn't move on in math before their kid is ready.  I like manipulatives.  I thought the basic benefit
of homeschooling was that the pace of the class could be tailored perfectly to the student; guess I was wrong about that!

Her fourth point is that math-phobic parent-teachers just need to find a program that teaches their kid instead of the parent.   She lays out the ideal program (e.g. Teaching Textbooks) for us:
You need a math program that is self-paced and doesn’t require a lot from you. Even better, it should grade itself and offer a multi-faceted approach to teaching math. We use Teaching Textbooks for this very reason! I needed a curriculum that my kids liked, was easy to use, and gave me time to focus on other subjects with other children.

That sounds like a lovely program for the parent-teacher and a potential nightmare for the student.  A lot of traditional schools use computer-based math programs for students in junior high now.  Those programs are self-paced, feature computer-based instruction and automatically grade classwork and homework assignments.  The main difference is that there is a certified teacher in the room who can individually help students who are lost after the instruction section.   What happens when a kid has the same problem at home - and the parent is dropped in to the middle of a math topic? 

My favorite bit, though, is the fact that she claims Teaching Textbooks is a multifaceted program.  I went to the website to check the program out; it's simplistic in the extreme.  Students read the textbook, watch the instructional media then complete self-grading problems and tests.  The term "independent learner" is used so many times that I feel like the sellers of the curriculum want to be clear that failure is due to the student's lack of independence rather than poor curriculum  or the lack of a teacher.

I cannot find a document for any of the levels in Teaching Textbooks that explains the layout of the curriculum for a level or the entire series.   I am always suspicious of any curriculum that fails to include a scope-and-sequence document (also known as benchmarks or learning standards or any one of a dozen other educational jargon).  These documents show exactly what topics are to be covered in each class, what level of mastery is expected and what order topics should be introduced if topics build on each other.  This sounds complicated but the actual document could be as simple as these examples:
  • A kindergarten student will be able to correctly identify diagrams of squares, rectangles, rhombuses (diamonds), triangles, circles, hexagons and octagons.  They should be able to draw squares, rectangles, triangles, and circles accurately.  
  • A second-grader will be able to add two two-digit numbers.
  • Third graders will memorize the multiplication tables between 1 and 12.  Students will begin multiplying two digit numbers by a single digit number after multiplication facts are memorized.
  • Chemistry students will be able to determine the number of protons, neutrons and electrons for neutral atoms based on the periodic table.  Once the previous skill is mastered, chemistry students will use charges to determine the number of electrons in ions while recognizing that the number of protons and neutrons remain unchanged.
I dislike Apologia Science intensely - but they do include scope-and-sequence documents for their curriculum while Teaching Textbooks cannot be bothered to write up the end goals for their curriculum which I find distasteful.

Next up, Amy sets the minimum high school requirements in the state as the bar to aim for when educating kids in math and then touts consumer math.   I like consumer math as an option for high school students especially those who are not planning to move directly to college or post-secondary training - but her idea of consumer math worries me:

Can they figure a tip? Can they figure tax? Can they quadruple a recipe? Can they measure a room? Can they figure a dilution rate or divide up a paycheck. These and other math life skills will most likely be more important than any Algebra they learn. In fact, many states allow Consumer Math as a high school math credit. I honestly believe this ought to be a requirement in all states.

Psst!  Let me give you a hint.  The reason Consumer Math is not a mandated graduation requirement is that those of us who passed Algebra I and II - also known as College Algebra - already knew how to do all of those things prior to high school.   I remember taking the PSAT as a junior in high school and being bored during the math portion because the math was so basic.  The hardest problem was solving the square footage of tile needed around the outside of a pool which requires using the quadratic equation to solve.  That took me about 5 minutes because I took the time to check my answers.  Like all the other math examples included so  far, she's trying to pass off 5th grade math as high school level work.      Really, Amy's examples are only interesting if you start to stack them together.  For example, measure the square footage of a series of rooms that are made of irregular polygons with bay windows and determine the overall cost of flooring for three different options including sales tax.    Next, determine the cost per bimonthly paycheck if the flooring is financed over 12, 24 and 36 months at three different interest rates.. Finally, determine the cost of installation based on a table of wages per worker given by the teacher.  That's high school level Consumer Math.

When I was reading her post and writing, I realized that Amy's kids really might be better off with an outside math teacher since she labeled the next point as "4 - Find a math resource for when your child is stuck".   The advice for finding someone who gets math to explain it to your kid in a pinch (and presumably for free) is decent.  The issue is that there are no points labeled 1-3 anywhere...and the one labeled 4 is the sixth point.   Granted, it's probably just poor proofreading, but I'm a bit freaked out now.

The seventh point (labeled 5) recommends using popular media involving math like "Numb3rs" or "Odd Squad" to motivate kids.  I think that's a good idea; my husband and I grew up on PBS' "Square One" show which was an amazingly nerdy attempt to make math fun and accessible.  Every few years, I dress up as Kate Monday from "Mathnet" for Halloween.

The eighth/sixth point is that students really like being able to teach their parents' math!  It's great for the kid and the parent! 

I'm doubtful that this is a universally positive experience for the student.

 For me, I found it rough once my parents weren't able to help me in math any more when I was an upperclassman in high school.  I'm sure I could have taught them some math - but why?  I appreciated their moral support and knew that I'd get whatever problem I had straightened out the next day by my teacher who was excellent at that level of math.   In a similar vein, I appreciated when my students taught me some colloquial Spanish, kept me up-to-date in various music genre, or brought me various science issues to solve - but I never expected them to teach me how to balance an equation.   After all, I was responsible for being able to teach them the curriculum, not the other way around.

We agree on her last point: don't let your dislike of math poison your kid's math experience.  For parent-teachers who can do that, more power to them!  Personally, I'd like my son to have the same chance I did to learn math from people who find math to be gloriously fun rather than a tolerable part of life.   I think students deserve to be exposed to teachers who live, breathe and think in their subject of choice.  Not every teacher is like that - but I found that I was touched with how excited various teachers would get about art, music, languages, math, science, history, theology or language arts.    I'm never going to be a great 2D artist - but I loved seeing professors show students how to improve their works.  I'm not much into poetry - but reading the works of my teachers blew my mind.  Or the time one of my theology professors went on a tangent about the nature of the Trinity that made me realize that there were entire areas of theology that were beyond my understanding.  Listening to math teachers discuss how to solve math problems that I couldn't conceptualize let alone solve was amazing.  And I wanted to have the experiences that the science teachers gained through labs, field studies and academic research.

19 comments:

  1. Yikes. My mom's great with the consumer math essentials but found herself having a challenging time trying to teach me pre-algebra. So my parents decided that taking classes with an actual math teacher or hiring a tutor were the best options. I did much better in algebra than I did in pre-algebra because I had a teacher who enjoyed the subject and knew how to teach it. I made it all the way through Pre-Calc in community college, which finished off my math requirements (though I would later wish I'd just gone ahead and taken Stats the next term). Sure, the average person might not use algebra on a regular basis. Heck, my father-in-law is a chemical engineer and he has used calculus a handful of times during his more than thirty years in the industry (other forms of math, however, are something he frequently uses). But what about the concept that learning is good for the brain? Developing the skills to become a lifelong learner is important because it makes you a more adaptable adult. Or maybe you'll need more math in a later career and it will be easier to refresh your skills because it's something you already know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took Calculus I in high school, passed the AP test and didn't need any additional math classes besides Statistics which I understand much more intuitively than Calculus. In graduate school, I've taken several more research-based statistics classes. One benefit of taking calculus for science majors is that the more math classes a student takes the faster and more accurately they can do algebraic solving.

      Your parents sound like the type of homeschooling parents who do well because they are aware of their own limitations and modify their teaching methods to the needs of their kids.

      Delete
  2. The "you probably won't need this in real life anyway" mentality annoys the crap out of me. I've seen it a lot. It sets the kids up to follow the parent's life plan (and beliefs, prejudices, biases, etc.) for them. I know non-homeschool parents can do the same, but the issue with homeschooling is the potential to highly regulate or completely close off all competing ideas and input. It's mentally crippling. (I call it child abuse actually, but I have very strong feelings on the subject...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mentally crippling to deny a child access to a subject rather than admit that the family needs outside help to tackle a subject. I worry that far too many homeschooled kids in families who homeschool for religious reasons are allowed to skip math and science when the students hit a wall and become concerned about their competence in the subject. I enjoy math as an adult - but it was a very hard and stressful subject for me from 3rd grade on because no one recognized that I have dysnomia until I reached college. I thought it was totally normal to understand the big ideas in math but be unable to calculate the correct answer because 56 and 65 look identical to me. The reason I succeeded was that my parents understood that math was hard for me - but encouraged me to keep going because they knew that I was so strongly interested in sciences that I needed the math background to live my dream job as an adult. I'm sure it was hard for them - but I would have been much more unhappy if I had been shut out of chemistry (and by result, out of a BS in Bio) because I let my frustrations with math stop my learning prematurely.

      Delete
    2. Very good point. I'm so glad this subject came up. Just yesterday I heard about a homeschool kid (family friend) being allowed to drop out of math before 9th grade. The excuse was it wouldn't be needed for her life plans (...yea...) but I strongly suspect it's because she's not getting it.

      Delete
    3. I read one a while ago that have up on math when her son struggled with long division. That's like 4th grade stuff!

      Delete
    4. @Jen - I can't think of a life plan that doesn't include at least two years of high school math. If her life plan is to marry and homeschool, I'd say she needs through at least Calc I to be on the safe side. Anything else and she's looking at a minimum of two years of remedial math before being able to get professional training or college.

      @Minda - I'm sad to say that I don't think that's rare. Most homeschoolers I met at my college were educated well - but I've had students who returned to public school who tested at below 4th grade math without a learning disability or highly disrupted education as high schoolers.

      Delete
  3. Another issue with homeschool parent math-phobes, which I have seen in my own extended family, is that by limiting their teenage children's math exposure and instruction, such parents are denying their children the opportunity to pursue entire classes of careers. A student who doesn't complete pre-calculus (at the minimum) in high school is going to be woefully behind as a college freshman for any STEM-related magor including engineering--in fact, such a student is not likely to be accepted to the engineering college of any large university. STEM careers aren't for everyone, but wouldn't it be responsible parenting to make sure your child has enough math education to make that determination for him or herself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking back on everyone I knew in my biology and chemistry programs at the small college I attended, I can think of one person who managed to pull off a chemistry minor and biology major who started the program with no high school chemistry and being co-enrolled in precalculus while taking Inorganic Chemistry I which was the first class in the major series. On the other hand, our Inorganic Chem I class went from 70 enrolled students to 25 by the final exam and nearly all of the people who dropped did so because they couldn't handle the algebraic component of the class. Maybe 15 of the people who dropped eventually got a minor in Bio. The 25 "survivors" as we called ourselves worked out to 3 Chemistry majors who either double majored or minored in math, 5 or 6 double majors in Chemistry and Biology, one woman who triple majored in Math/Chem/Bio, 14 Bio majors with chem minors and one exasperated Bio major with a chem minor who also got certified in secondary education - but that's not considered a double major even though I took more credit hours in education that most of the math or chem majors did in their majors.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I feel for those kids. Having their teacher exhibit fear and discomfort with math is really not going to do good things for their self-efficacy.

    One of the issues I see a bunch when teaching statistics to social science majors is that a number of them go into the class assuming that any math is going to be a struggle. Often times, these kids tend to really shut down when they see an equation. I feel for them, because I am the least math-y member of my family, and I understand what it feels like to be lost when everyone around me seems to get something.

    My saving grace is that a lot of intro stats can be explained intuitively with simulations, examples, etc, which students tend to respond better to than straight up equations.

    Also, I recently saw an article in the NYT about how computer self-directed learning programs (eg Summit Learning) have been facing serious backlash among students and parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know that feeling of seeing students shut down as soon as math appears. I've also had good lucks with simulations prior to doing the math so that students have mental models to refer to if they get lost.

      Thanks for the tip about the NYT article! The schools I've worked at generally use Google Classroom or some other website for most subjects but hired an intensive program for math due to low test scores (along with other issues involving math success). I think most junior high kids can handle one hour a day on a computer-based program - but Summit Learning sounds like all of the subjects are self-paced which could be very isolating.

      Delete
  5. I worry that these parents are likely to pass on their math-phobia to the kids, even if they manage to teach them the basics and let the textbook cover the rest. Especially with comments such as "only a select group of people will go on to use the concepts and equations taught in higher level math classes" which the kids will pick up on and assume they aren't in the select group.

    I think part of the problem is that parents who never did high-level maths aren't aware of just how many jobs need it (or any use for it outside of work).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a bit surprised at how often I use algebra I or II in my day-to-day life. I could probably figure out the answer of what I'm looking for using arithmetic - but using Algebra is a whole lot faster.

      Delete
  6. Several of the engineering students I went to school with liked Teaching Textbooks and thought it prepared them for college well. But that is of course antidotal and has a survival bias. Also most of them were comparing in to A Beka which I know from experience it's awful. A Beka also apparently doesn't teach set theory because they think it is too modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Source:https://boingboing.net/2012/08/07/what-do-christian-fundamentali.html

      Delete
    2. I remember doing workbooks using sets when I was a very young child in the mid-1960s. Just how old does something have to be in order not to be "modern?"

      (No, I wasn't homeschooled but I was a precocious child and my parents taught me everything I was ready to learn as a three- and four-year-old....kindergarten was interesting; the teacher had no idea what to do with me.)

      Delete
    3. @Minda - Oh, goodness. Set theory isn't particularly modern; it's just a way of demonstrating logic.

      I believe that Teaching Textbooks would seem amazing compared to A Beka or ACE. And - honestly - Teaching Textbooks is pretty close to the way math was taught when I was in school so I can't bash it too hard. I'm as much reacting to the fact that Amy described it as "multi-faceted" which makes me wonder how much she reviewed the program before using it.

      Delete
    4. @MEG - "Modern" means anything the author doesn't want to include but can't attach the word "evil" to directly without being laughed at.

      My husband and I were similarly precocious. My weaknesses in fine motor control meant that I spent a lot of time trapped in doing handwriting exercises. Actually, that was the year my teacher called my mom to let her know that I was cheating by having someone do part of my worksheets. My mom thought that was really odd since I was an nervous and straightlaced kid so she asked if she could see the work. Mom noticed right away that I had apparently done all the work on the left hand side and had "another" kid to the right hand side which is a strange set of affairs so my mom asked me to show her how I write. Turns out I was compensating for the burning of tight muscles by using my left hand from the left margin to midline, swapping a pencil, and writing from midline to the right margin with my right hand. (I was more than happy to demonstrate that technique when asked.) Problem solved.

      My husband simply spent most of the year in a "fort" underneath the a table daydreaming.

      Delete
    5. Yeah I should have put "modern" in scare quotes. As Computer Science major I learned a lot about set theory. It is weird that TT doesn't have a scope and sequence. Maybe that don't think homeschool parents would understand it or something since most of them haven't taught before.

      Delete