Thursday, February 6, 2020

The Battle of Peer Dependency: Chapters One and Two - Part One

Proof we have a merciful God - I've misplaced my copy of "The Battle of Peer Dependency" by Marina Sears!   Fortunately (or unfortunately), I had already transcribed the next few posts and had notes on what I thought. 

The first chapter is a drawn-out, melodramatic slog up to Jeff's death near the end of the chapter.  For the curious, Jeff died in a freak single-car accident on his way to work.  The second chapter is about how Marina coped with that tragedy. 

In between loving family anecdotes ending with hammy reminders that tragedy or peer dependence happened in spite of being happy, we learn a few things about Marina Sears' view of God:
At the end of that morning's devotional, I got up off my knees, stamped my foot, and confronted the Lord. " Lord, I didn't get mad at you when you took Jeff home to be with you, and I've tried to be a good testimony of how you were taking care of us. The only thing I've asked you to do this to sell this house. Why aren't you bringing a buyer?" I was really mad at the Lord! Intellectually, I knew that being angry with the Creator of the Universe was very unwise, but I couldn't help how I was feeling. I thought that if God really loved and cared for me, and understood my circumstances, he would bring a buyer. In fact, it wouldn't have surprised me to find one standing on the porch when we pulled up from the funeral, saving me from all the details and expense involved in using a realtor. I wasn't trying to presume on God; I just believed him to be that big. (pg. 20)
Mrs. Sears' God is petty, cruel, and profligate in turn.

Mrs. Sears is doing her best to be a shining example of how God takes care of widows and orphans.  When God fails to provide as she had hoped, she's understandably pissed.  Rather than explaining that young widows are allowed to be angry at God, Mrs. Sears implies that God punishes people who are mad at him.   That's a strangely non-Biblical idea since Jesus - following the path of the prophets before him - spent much of his life angry at God.    Instead, we're left with a God who can do anything - even let a very needed father and husband die in a freak accident - and who will punish us if we ever object.

On the flip side, Mrs. Sears' God also holds vast wealth and power that he parcels out to his followers.    No wonder Mrs. Sears was so angry; she was only asking that God sell her house located in the middle of nowhere without the effort of a relator! 

Look, I have no idea why God doesn't end all suffering and pain right now.  That's so outside my pay grade that I've got nothing.  What I do believe is that we can be angry at God without having to worry about being hit by a lightning bolt and that support in hard times comes from other caring people.

Next example of a scary God:
The house did finally so, but only after 1 year and 3 months from the time we first put it on the market. Looking back, I can see why God had me stay in that house. Even though I had lived in New Mexico for eight years, I still had a great fear of many creatures that lived on and in the land. I have never heard of a scorpion or tarantula except when I was a little girl, on the late night, scary movie channel; to see one and then to find it in the bedroom or among one's belongings is more than I can bear. (pg. 21)
Fear of arthropods - even pathological fear of arthropods - is not a sin. 

There are no Bible verses about how God expects us to subdue scorpions in sock drawers as a sign of faith. 

If God leaves a pregnant widow and three children in a rural house thousands of miles away from family and tens of miles away from help in an emergency for 15 months so that the widow can get over a fear of scorpions, the rest of us are screwed. 

Marina Sears lives in fear of her life's consequences.  Selling a house is hard.  Selling a house that was recently sold without improvements is even harder.   Selling a recently purchased house located in the middle-of-freaking-nowhere while dealing with a traumatic grieving situation is insanely difficult.   Depending on the local market, moving the house in 15 months may well have been a miracle!  But instead of being honest with how choices that Jeff and Marina made before his death affected her after his death, Marina focuses on how any flaw in her perception of God's Plan is really due to a personal sin of hers.

She spends a lot of time discussing her fear of scorpions.  She buried the lede, though.  She casually mentions that someone was trying to break into the house.  That's genuinely scary - and she ignores it because it can't easily be blamed on her life choices......

The answer to these questions would revolutionize my walk with God. Did he care about a young widow was four small children, two dogs, a house to sell, and the circumstances and events which are trying to break her? What I didn't see at the time was that the difficult circumstances were sent and allowed by God in order to break my will, self-reliance, and my very small definition and picture of God. (pg. 23)
The Bible is full of verses that talk about how God is a jealous God.   Traditionally, those verses are taken in the understanding of God is a jealous God because followers are expected to be monotheistic in a society where most other groups were polytheistic. 

Marina Sears' God is also jealous - but in a very self-centered and personal way.  Marina Sears' God reacts with jealous temper tantrums whenever Marina gets any kind of support from any humans rather than directly from God himself.   In this case, Marina and her kids are literally kept trapped in the middle of nowhere until she's reliant enough on God.

That's a pretty common method for abusers to control their victims, fyi.

Is Marina's God jealous - or is Marina?  That's a decision that each reader needs to think about as we explore how Marina's discussions from God give her the rationale to control her children excessively.

9 comments:

  1. Marina is desperately trying to find patterns in coincidence and happenstance, using a mental toolkit that doesn't allow her to identify them as such because if there's no pattern there's nothing she can influence and that's not something her anxiety can deal with. Poor woman. Poor kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think the hardest lesson in life is that a lot of bad things just plain happen by random chance and cannot be prevented at all. Marina finds that terrifying and so decides that everything must be a divine Reason if she can't figure it out herself in real time.

      I try to feel sympathetic for her - but she's got some really terrible coping mechanisms that caused her kids a whole lot of pain.

      Delete
    2. Yes and my experience in evangelicalism is that this behavior is encouraged. I've spent years trying to deconstruct this habit, and I'm making some progress. But I was struck again by how strongly disempowering it is to believe that somehow I am the cause of everything good or bad (because my sin causes god to curse me and my obedience forces god to give me good things) when I heard my brother say something.

      In the recent few weeks a few minor unfortunate things had happened in his family. He got a stress fracture in his foot. His daughter got pulled over on the way to college (burned out headlight, and was let off with a warning). Daughter needed minor surgery. I heard him insinuate something was "going on" (i.e. satan/we're being cursed/ god's allowing this) because all these bad things were happening.
      And I thought... holy cow. I used to think like that!

      But now I think "um, stress fractures happen. You have health insurance. A boot for 3 weeks is pretty great compared to what some people have to deal with. Your daughter just got a warning and thankfully it wasn't something like an ACCIDENT! And again, you have great health insurance so her minor surgery is going to take care of the pain she's in and she'll be right as rain soon."
      I mean, from the outside there is a LOT to be thankful for.

      But the evangelical/fundamentlist view of god is so disempowering that people are left looking at things that happen and trying to find patterns/reasons... and the only thing they can figure is that it's their own actions (and satan, but it's their actions that let satan in).

      It's an incredibly paralyzing and self-absorbed way of living. Very little room for enjoying the bigger picture of life.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many parallels between Marina and my mother. I took a distance course in college on Galatians (yes, Christian liberal arts college) in which the teacher told us that "God isn't waiting with a baseball bat over your head to hit you every time you do something wrong." I had *never* heard that before. Ever. And I'm sitting there on the sofa, crying with relief at the thought of God's mercy but anguish that I'd been so scared all my life, when my mom comes and asks why. I tried to explain (she was supposed to "have my heart," after all), and she just insisted that she had never taught me that. But she did, by her life, and her constant fear that she was doing the "wrong thing," and her constant insistence that every misstep was a grave offense against her. I strongly believe our view of our parents shapes our view of God as Father, and mine taught me that he was cruel, and vindictive, and short on patience, and angry. It's taken years to deprogram these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an old prayer from the Jewish tradition that asks that God's Mercy outweighs God's Justice. And an old prayer from the Christian tradition that simply says "Jesus Christ, Savior of the World, have mercy on me, a sinner".

      That's the overarching theme within Abrahamic religion: Humans mess up terribly when we sin - and probably are doing it wrong even when we are trying to do it right because we are human - but God forgives freely. Probably for the same reasons parents forgive their children normally; we see how young the kid is and remember how many mistakes we ourselves made....

      Delete
  4. "Jesus - following the path of the prophets before him - spent much of his life angry at God."
    Can you elaborate more on this? The picture I have of Jesus is serene and calm and superhuman and I would dearly love to have that image blown to smithereens. Jesus angry at Pharisees, yeah, I've seen that. But angry at God? That's a new idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember our bias tends to be that Jesus was God and therefore the good guy, right? But Jesus spent a lot of time lashing out at various Jewish laws that were pretty foundational to Jewish life because the laws were literally given by God to guide the Jewish people. The example I think of is when Jesus healed a man with a withered arm on the Sabbath. Christian interpretation is "Yeah! People matter more than rules!" Another way of looking at it, though, is that Jesus was being a jerk. The man's arm had been like that for weeks, months or years since withering takes a while. A withered arm isn't a immediate medical emergency, either, and Jewish law made and makes provision for "breaking" laws to save a life. So Jesus decides to heal on the Sabbath because why? To irritate the Pharisees? Maybe - but growing up in a society where the Sabbath was strictly observed - Jesus would also know that doing that was really a slap at God.

      Delete
  5. This is one of your best posts. I hope at least some of her readers can go through her writing with a similarly discerning eye.

    ReplyDelete